For the 10th straight year, the Cadillac Escalade SUV is the most popular in the United States car among thieves, with nearly 11 vehicles per 1,000 stolen or vandalized, according to the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI).
The institute looked only at cars from the most recent three model years as reported on AOL Autos, and all vehicles with state-of-the-art anti-theft technologies.
The HLDI, based in Dallas, Texas, is a nonprofit research organization that publishes insurance loss statistics on most automobile, SUV, pickup truck, and motorcycle models on United States highways.
Sponsored by the automobile insurance industry, HLDI database includes more than 150 million individual passenger vehicles, about 80 percent of all privately insured vehicles on the road.
Here are the current top-10 most popular cars among thieves in the United States.
1. Cadillac Escalade, 10.8 per thousand
2. Chevrolet Silverado, 8.0 per thousand
3. Dodge Charger, 7.4 per thousand
4. Chevrolet Avalanche, 7.4 per thousand
5. Infiniti G37, 7.1 per thousand
6. GMC Sierra 1500, 6.7 per thousand
7. Nissan Maxima, 6.5 per thousand
8. HUMMER H2 SUV, 6.2 per thousand
9. GMC Yukon, 6.0 per thousand
10. Chevrolet Tahoe, 5.8 per thousand