Several days after the announcement of the public sale of the first production model of the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, more details of the Barrett-Jackson auction in Las Vegas are available.
* Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports, a the NASCAR team that employs several drivers, including Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon, purchased the car for $250,000;
* The proceeds of the sale will benefit the YMCA of Southern Nevada;
* Hendrick will take delivery of the 69th ZL1 coupe (to commemorate the 1969 Camaro ZL1, of which only 69 were ever produced) and the only one painted in Carbon Flash Metallic, in winter 2012;
* The 2012 ZL1 has a supercharged 6.2-liter V-8 with for 580 horsepower and 556 lb-ft of torque. It also will have modern-day performance credentials like adaptive dampers, an active exhaust, and Brembo brakes;
* Although the MSRP hasn't been announced, the price of the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, which goes on sale in spring 2012, is expected to be about $47,000.
* Hendrick also bought the first new 2010 Camaro (VIN 0001) for $350,000, with proceeds going to the American Heart Association;
* Hendrick also purchased a 2011 Camaro convertible and first 2011 Chevrolet Volt for unknown prices and with proceeds going to several local and national charities.
To receive The Weekly Driver Newsletter via email, subscribe here: Free Newsletter
Article Last Updated: September 29, 2011.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
A sports, travel and business journalist for more than 45 years, James has written the new car review column The Weekly Driver since 2004.
In addition to this site, James writes a Sunday automotive column for The San Jose Mercury and East Bay Times in Walnut Creek, Calif., and a monthly auto review column for Gulfshore Business, a magazine in Southwest Florida.
An author and contributor to many newspapers, magazines and online publications, James has co-hosted The Weekly Driver Podcast since 2017.