It’s hard to keep track of the ever-increasing list of hybrid and other “green cars” on the market. But Yahoo! Autos accepted the task and has announced its list of the top-100 “Green Cars” on the market. The compilation is called the Green Rating.
The Green Rating was developed by Yahoo! Autos in consultation with Environmental Defense, a nonprofit organization that finds practical ways to protect the planet.
The Green Rating covers all the major environmental costs of a motor vehicle, including: Unhealthy smog that comes from tailpipes; Emissions of greenhouse gases that cause global warming; The fuel a vehicle consumes; Pollution from manufacturing the vehicle and its components.
The Green Rating measures a vehicle’s environmental friendliness on a scale of 1 to 100. The higher a vehicle’s Green Rating, the “greener” it is and the lower its harm to human health and the health of the planet.
Here’s the list of Yahoo Auto’s top-10 (with ties) green cars:
1. 2010 Honda Civic Hybrid CVT, MPG 45/40, 84 points
1. 2010 Toyota Prius, MPG 48/51, 84 points
1. 2010 Honda Insight, MPG 43/40, 84 points
4. 2010 Honda Civic GX 5-speed, MPG 36-24, 82 points
5. 2010 Ford Fusion, MPG 36/41, 79 points
5. 2011 Mercury Milan, MPG 36/41, 79 points
5. 2010 Mercury Miland, MPG, 36/41, 79 points
5. 2011 Ford Fusion, MPG, 36/41, 79 points
9. 2010 Lexus HS 350h premium, MPG 34/31, 77 points
10. 2011 Ford Escape Limited, MPG 31/34, 76 points
To view the entire list of the Yahoo Autos top-100 Green Cars, visit: Yahoo! Green Cars.