Car lists are subjective. There are best sports cars, best luxury car lists and even an extreme list like the Top-10 Ugly Cars. And since everyone is entitled to an opinion, the “All-Ugly” list is a lot of fun.
Thomas Bey, writing for the web site, www.Bankrate.com, has compiled the latest Top-10 Ugly Car list.
The criteria for Bey’s new list is two-fold” 1. “The ugly cars are production vehicles sold in the U.S. at one time or another; 2. “No more than one car from a manufacturer will be on the list.”
Here’s Bey’s list in reverse order and a brief comment of each vehicle.
10. Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible — “To hell in a handbasket” is an expression we’re sure you’ve heard. Well, here’s the handbasket.”
9. Datsun B210 — “The reliable, fuel-efficient Datsun B210 was the little car that could — and did from 1973 through 1978, despite its butt-ugly facade.”
8. AMC Eagle — “Harping on an AMCs looks is like roughing up a geek on the playground. It’s mean-spirited, easy to do and it further guarantees your place in hell.”
7. Fiat Strada — “Some of the greatest icons of trends and styles are Italians. Yet the Fiat Strada is enough to make you “forget ’bout it.”
6. Subaru Baja — “As Brittany Spears can attest, comebacks are tricky. With the passing of time between glory years and the present, sentimentality has a way of clouding judgment and masking desperation as desire.”
5. Chevrolet Lumina APE — “What is it with GM and minions? After the Chevrolet Aster and GMT Safari failed to pry drivers from their Dodge Caravans and Plymouth Voyagers, the General took two steps back and went to Plan B — make that Plan U, for ugly.”
4. Suzuki X-90 — “Ever have one of those days when you can’t seem to do anything right? That’s the general idea of this thing. For about two years’ worth of bad days, from 1996 to ’98, Suzuki tried, in vain, to sell the X-90.”
3. Dodge Rampage — “At No. 6, we took a shot at the Subaru Baja pickup wannabe. The only thing No. 6 can tip its hat to is the fact that it isn’t the truck at No. 3: the Dodge Rampage.”
2. Citroën 2CV — “Don’t get us wrong, we recognize the historical significance of the Citroën 2CV. We also happen to love it; it’s some of the most fun you’ll ever have at near-stationary speeds. But sacre bleu, it’s an ugly car.
1. Pontiac Aztek — “If looks could kill? If? Thanks to the Pontiac Aztek, there’s no uncertainty. Like the runner-up Citroën 2CV, there was a lot to like if you could get beyond the homeliness.”